Monday, December 28, 2009

Blog Term2 Day32 AWESOME EDITION

What a day! I think today was one of the most tiring days ever. And it's not like we walked a lot a lot. I mean, in Hong Kong, it's very different from home. Because in Hong Kong, there's always a lot of walking and public transit. At home, we mostly just transport via cars. Usually, the most I ever walk at home would be a couple hours at once, and that's just the weekend. During weekdays, besides P.E, walking to different classes and walking home, there isn't much walking. But here, one must walk to get anywhere. Pretty hardcore. Maybe that's why Hong Kong people are so skinny. They do a lot of walking. In Hong Kong, and any vacation, I always eat a lot of food, and I think the only reason I haven't gained several pounds a day is due to the fact I walk a lot each day. That's good exercise, so I'm happy, however painful it may be.

Anyway- on about my day. Again, my brother and I woke up late, so we started the day late. My dad had to go to Tuen Moon. Actually, I don't know if that's the actual English translation for that district, but that's my translation from Cantonese to English. I think the actual should be pretty close. My dad isn't that fond of shopping, so it was just mom, my brother and me again. But that's totally fine with me. After we were all prepped up, we headed out the door and went for breakfast. Since my aunt's apartment is kinda in Causeway Bay, we took the public light bus down to the main part of the district. There, for breaky, we had noodles in soup with baby octopus and fish balls, rice rolls and cold soy milk. Yummmm. I think I've really taken on a liking for soy milk since we had that for breakfast a while back too. But that time, we had hot soy milk in a bowl. Today, we had it in a cup at a different restaurant. I liked this cold soy milk, but in my opinion, it was too sweet. Still really good though.

After breakfast, I believe we took the subway to (ahhh, I forgot!) and then transferred to North Point. At North Point, we shopped around a bit. But mainly, we looked at bookstores. Actually, today was a bookstore day. I think we visited about 5 different bookstores. Anyways, we mostly just looked around. At the first one, my brother and I bought erasers. Then, at another one, all of us each bought some pens, my brother purchased a 3-D puzzle and my mom bought some book-cover plastic.

At around 1, we were getting kinda hungry, so we went to this famous supermarket, and on the very top floor, there was a place to eat food. Here's my Chinglish translation: Dai Pai Dong. Yeah, not that great, but it kinda works. There, we had some famous clay-pot rice and all 3 of us got drinks. And in total, the price was only $57. That's about 8 bucks in my terms. Crazy huh? You can't get that kind of deal at home. Not with that much food, and should I mention it wasn't even fast food. You can't even get that deal at a fast food restaurant back at home. Or here.

Then, we went back to the subway station and went to another district. (Darn it, I forgot most of the names!) What I do know is, that was the district my mom's old secondary school was. And since it was vacation and school wasn't in session, we got to go in. It's quite different. The schools in Hong Kong. There's actually a fence around the school. And not just the short ones people can climb over. These ones are full metal bars with spikes at the top. No kidding. I know that protects the school, but still... Wouldn't that kinda seem like prison? Not to mention that school has both elementary and secondary. That's pretty cool. I took some pictures, which I will try to upload when I get back home. Oh yeah, and another thing I noticed. The toilets there don't have any toilet paper. Good thing I brought my own tissues, otherwise... that wouldn't be a good situation.

After spending some time at my mom's old secondary school, we thanked the people who let us in and then headed over to the park that was right next to it. There was an old man with a vending cart, so we went over and purchased an iced tea and a small box of Maltesers. The old man was really kind and cute the way old people are. Then, my brother and I played tag at the playground. It was quite fun, and I haven't played tag in such a long time. After about an hour, we decided to get going. So went back to the subway station and went to Mong Kok. At Mong Kok, we went to another book store where I bought a book. It's called The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. I read the blurb, and it seemed pretty good, so I got it. Plus, the price is a lot better than at Chapters. Then again, everything at Chapters is expensive. But Chapters has a very wide range of books, good for variety.

We shopped a bit more, mostly window shopping, and then at around 6:45, we met up at the front of a mall with my cousin and his wife, dad and my aunt. Then, we all walked to this sports club together. My aunt and uncle are members at the sports club, so they are very familiar with the surroundings. At that sports club, there is a restaurant, and the food there is surprisingly delicious. When I first thought about it, I was thinking that the restaurant wouldn't be that great, but I was totally wrong. And I'm glad to be wrong, because the food there was amazing! The portions were good, and the taste was very good too. Yum! We had shrimp, crab, at least 4 different veggies, chicken, curry and rack of lamb. And rice. And soup. It was really good, and at the end, my brother and I each got some ice cream for dessert. We also had some pomelo for the fruit. I got toasted almond ice cream and my brother mint chocolate. After dinner, we walked to the subway station and made our way back to my aunt and uncle's apartment.

No comments: